You can avoid capital gains tax when selling a house.
It seems to be an elusive and complex burden, but real estate owners can legally avoid or reduce paying taxes by implementing the following list of strategies.Definition: What is a Capital Gains Tax? When someone sells a certain asset at a gain or profit, those earnings become taxable. In real estate particularly, the person pays a special amount at a certain rate known as Capital Gains Tax. The most common types of capital gains are property, stocks, bonds and precious metals.
1. Exclusion for Primary Residence
2. Tax-Deferred Exchange (1031 Exchange)
3. Deferred Sales Trust
4. Home Renovation
5. Transfer property ownership to family members in the low-income bracket.Your can give a highly-appreciated securities as a gift to a family member in a low-income bracket and receive another kind of appreciation in return. The IRS allows If the family chooses to sell the asset, his or her income tax rate will be used, not yours. The tax rate will be according to their own income bracket. If on the year of selling the property your family member falls within the 10% to 15% ordinary income tax bracket, he or she could avoid the capital gains tax entirely.
6. Reduce Taxes via Investment LossesIf you are an investor, selling of securities at a loss in a given year can be used to offset capital gains. You can use the losses of value in your Mutual funds to decrease your liabilities for those securities that realised gains.
7. Give to charityWhen you give your appreciated stock to a charity without selling your shares, you get the value as a tax deduction and the charity doesn’t pay any when they sell the stock. The list above are ways to avoid capital gains which were compiled by a long-time Foster city resident and Intero Realtor, Gwen Chua. He partners with San Francisco Chapter of the California Society of Tax Consultants (CSTC) to help sellers reduce or defer their capital gains tax.
If you want to know your home value and save more in selling your home, click here.